1. Educational and methodological work.
Currently, the department conducts undergraduate, internship, residency, Master's and doctoral studies. Innovative training technologies are used, such as-the method of Reference signals, Case-study, PBL. The application of the standardized patient method allows you to simulate a real clinical situation for the examination of students, interns and residents. To this end, 20 acts of notes have been developed and implemented in the educational process, which cover all the topics of the calendar and thematic plan. Educational and methodological manuals for students and interns are published annually in Kazakh, Russian and English. Assistants of the Department of Oncology, who have a valid IELTS certificate, conduct classes in English in groups with foreign students from India and Pakistan. Regularly, the teaching staff improves their pedagogical skills with the cascade involvement of all employees of the department.
2. Scientific work.
The scientific activity of the department develops in various areas of clinical oncology:
- Together with the RSE "National Center of Biotechnology of the Republic of Kazakhstan", for the first time in Kazakhstan, scientific work is being carried out related to the provision of human tumor cells and tissues within the framework of the state program"Development of modern technologies for the formation of a biotechnology cluster in the Republic of Kazakhstan". Development of the method of using MCA (monoclonal antibodies) in the diagnosis of cancer. Currently, work is underway to study the immunobiological properties of the obtained antigens - immunization of mice to determine the immunogenicity of the obtained antigens.
- A method for diagnosing signaling lymph nodes in breast cancer is being investigated.
- The results of repeated surgical intervention in patients with locally advanced tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and genitourinary system are being studied.
-Reconstructive methods of breast cancer treatment (TRAM-flap, DIEP-flap) are being introduced.
- The method of treatment of limb lymphostasis in cancer patients after surgery is being scientifically tested.
-Work continues on the study and implementation of the possibilities of oncological rehabilitation of patients with complications after complex treatment.
The staff of the Department of Oncology actively publishes the results of scientific research in international journals, consisting of the Scopus database and Web of science, in journals recommended by the KKSON, in collections of abstracts of international conferences. The results of the research work are confirmed by certificates of intellectual property copyright.
Our employees regularly participate in the annual congresses of oncologists and radiologists from the CIS and Europe. Active participation in international scientific and practical conferences organized by the Multidisciplinary Medical Center of Nur-Sultan.Participation of employees in the form of reports and publications at congresses of oncologists and radiologists with international participation.
Assistants, residents, undergraduates and doctoral students of the department are actively involved in presentations at conferences of young scientists. Recently, prizes have been awarded to:
- Kukanova A.M. "Chemoembolization of the uterine arteries in patients with cervical cancer". 1st place, 2015;
- Jantemirova N. M. "Features of metastatic lesion of axillary lymph nodes in breast cancer" 1st place, 2016;
- Bekisheva A. T. "Possibilities of treatment of dumping syndrome in patients with surgical treatment of gastric cancer". 1st place, 2017
- Zharkeneva M. B. "Features of surgical treatment of patients with kidney cancer complicated by thrombosis of the inferior vena cava" Assistant 2018;
- Mauletbayev M. S. "Repeated operations for tumors of the abdominal cavity and retroperitoneal space after exploratory laparotomy" 2018.
3. Clinical activity.
Over the past 24 years, the department and dispensary staff under the leadership of the Head of the Department of Oncology, Academician, Professor, MD, Makishev A. K. have introduced modern methods of diagnosis and surgical treatment of malignant neoplasms with the use of extended-combined surgical interventions with lymphodissection for the first time in the clinic of the State Enterprise on PHV "Multidisciplinary Medical Center" of the Akimat of Nur-Sultan:
- for cancer of the esophagus, stomach, cardioesophageal zone and post – burn cicatricial stenosis of the esophagus-simultaneous extended extirpation and subtotal resection of the thoracic and abdominal esophagus with esophagogastroplasty (Lewis, Savin and Gurlock type surgery), extended-combined gastrectomy, subtotal proximal and distal gastric resection, simultaneous extirpation of the esophagus with plastic isoperistaltic gastric stem and whole stomach;
- for lung cancer-extended pulmonectomies, bilobectomies, lobectomies with intrapericardial ligation of the pulmonary vessels;
- laryngeal cancer-extended extirpation of the larynx with lymph node dissection along the edge;
- for pancreatic cancer - gastropancreatoduodenal resection, total pancreatectomy, corporocaudal pancreatic resection;
- for liver cancer-hemihepatectomy, liver resection;
- for rectal cancer-abdominal-anal resection of the rectum with the reduction of the sigmoid colon;
- for kidney cancer-extended nephrectomy with resection and plastic surgery of the inferior vena cava and removal of a metastatic blood clot from its lumen;
- for bladder cancer-simultaneous extirpation of the bladder with the creation of a urinary reservoir from a segment of the small intestine and the transfer of ureters into it (Bricker operation);
- for cancer of the body and cervix (extended extirpation of the uterus with pelvic-iliac lymphodissection according to Wertheim).
In 2008-2009, for the first time, the most complex operations were performed on the bone system - resection of bone tumors (sternum, ilium, femur) with replacement of the defect with bone cement, on the organs of the head and neck (resection of the larynx, maxillary sinus), on the organs of the genitourinary system (wedge-shaped resection of the kidney, prostatectomy), laparothoracoscopic endovideosurgical operations on the organs of the thoracic and abdominal cavities (removal of lung tumors, female tumors sexual organs).
For the first time, expanded-combined operations for head and neck tumors with simultaneous reconstruction of skin-muscle flaps, as well as simultaneous plastic surgery with free skin-muscle, skin-fascial flaps, perforant flaps, with the imposition of microsurgical neurovascular anastomosis, which allowed to replace almost any postoperative defects. There are also implemented simultaneous reconstructive operations on the mammary gland using free flaps, diagnosis and treatment of secondary lymphodemas after mastectomy and operations on the pelvic organs using fluorescence lymphography, imposition of lymph-venous anastomoses, transplantation of cervical and inguinal lymph nodes in secondary lymphodema.
For the first time, the staff of the Department of Oncology together with the staff of the City Oncology Dispensary of Astana held an international meeting and master classes with leading professors of the Medical Faculty of Harvard University, Boston, USA. Patients of surgical, oncological, radiological and chemotherapeutic departments were consulted together, a number of joint operations were performed, and lectures were given.
Professor, MD, PhD Department of Oncology Makishev A. K. was trained at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA, Harvard University (October-November 2009).
Associate Professor, PhD Department of Oncology Zhakipbayev K. A. took part in a three-week exchange program experience "measures for the detection of cancer at an early stage medical staff", organized by the State Department of the United States of America, Washington, USA (from 10 to 28 August 2009.)
Assistant of the Department Dauletbaev M. S. took an internship at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA, Harvard University (October-November 2009). and training in robotic surgery in Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, South Korea (November, 2011).
Stefan I. - assistant of the Department took an internship at klaipėda University of Oncology (Lithuania, Klaipeda, 2013).
Bekisheva, A. T, Ermagambetova A. T., as assistants of the Department have been trained in Oncology at the Hospital of Santa Rijkes (Lithuania, Vilnius , 2016, 2017.)
Assistant A. M. Kukanova, completed an internship at the University of Klaipeda in Oncology (Lithuania, Klaipeda, 2018)
Assistants I. I. Shtefanov, M. S. Mauletbayev, completed an internship at the University of Rome “La Sapenza” in Oncology (Lithuania, Klaipeda, 2018).)
The staff of the department conducts consultative and therapeutic work on the prevention and detection of malignant neoplasms in the city of Nur-Sultan and the Akmola region, actively participates in open days in the organizations of the oncological service. Assistants of the department have the highest and first qualification categories of an oncologist, constantly participate with residents and students in the general rounds of the head of the Department of Oncology, prof., MD. Makishev A. K.
A master class was organized with the participation of the head of the Department of Oncohematology and Palliative Therapy of the University Clinic of Minden, Germany. A master class was held for oncologists of the Akmola region on a complex case of esophageal pathology. Professor, Doctor of Medical Sciences Makishev A. K. performed a number of unique step-by-step reconstructive and reconstructive operations on the esophagus of this patient.
4. Educational activities
Annual educational work is carried out with students of the 4th year of the Faculty of General Medicine, interns, residents. Every day, the groups discuss publications in the periodical press on educational topics. Discussions are held on the speech of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan K. K. Tokayev in Kazakhstan and in the international arena. During the classes, 30 minutes of daily conversations are held on medical ethics, on the principles of deontology, on subordination and relationships with medical personnel. In each group, conversations are held about a healthy lifestyle, about the dangers of smoking, alcohol and drug addiction. The assistants actively participated in the citywide subbotniks.
The staff of the department actively participates in the celebration of the "Independence Day of the Republic of Kazakhstan". Reports on the "Independence Day of the Republic of Kazakhstan" are being prepared for students of the 4th year, residents and interns of the 6th-7th year. Employees take an active joint part in the celebration of the "New Year", "March 8" and "Nauryz Meiramy", organized by the trade union and the administration of the NAO "MUA". Every year, the department takes the first place in the nominations during the celebration of "Nauryz Meiramy". They actively participate in the sports life of the university. In the" Rector's Cup "in chess, organized by the administration of NAO" MUA", in" Togyz kumalak", in draughts and tennis competitions, they take prizes.
Celebrate the anniversary of the victory of the Soviet people over the German-Fascist troops. The Day of Memory of the heroes of Kazakhstan-participants of the Great Patriotic War is held with students and interns with a report dedicated to this day.
According to the plan of educational work of the Department of Oncology, career guidance work is carried out in the school-lyceum No. 38 in Nur-Sultan. During the orientation work, slides and videos are used to tell about the activities of the medical university.