The University’s name in accordance with the Statute: in Kazakh – Astana Meditsina Universiteti (shortened - АМU АQ), in Russian – Meditsinskii universitet Astana (shortened АО МUА). Institutional affiliation: Joint Stock Company.
The state license: for the kind of activity: higher and postgraduate education without term limits № 0064050 AB of 31.01.2009. Legal address: 010000, Astana, Sary-Arka street, 95. Telephone: 53-94-24 Fax: 53-94-53 Website: http:www.amu.kz
University registration: Certificate on the State re-registration of a legal entity № 3183-1901-АО dated back to the 12.01.2009, serial number 0364884, series В. The University Statute: the JSC «Astana Medical University» № 31843-1901-JSC of 12.01.2009.
University has: Logo
On the 26th October 1964 the Central committee of the Communist Party of Kazakhstan and the Council of Ministers of the Republic (in accordance with the decision of the USSR Council of Ministers of 31st July 1964) adopted a resolution on the creation of Medical Institute in Tselinograd. During the period of October and November of the year1964 a group of lecturers (graduated from the Medical University of Alma-Ata) from the Alma-Ata Institute came to the Tselinograd State Institute. By the 5th November there were already 15 lecturers in the institute, including 4 Candidates of Science. For the years 1964-1965 the following plan of students admission was set: 300 people to be enrolled to the 1st year and 100 people to the 2nd year. Following departments were organised: Normal Anatomy, Latin language, Biology, History of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, Foreign languages, Inorganic Chemistry, Physical Education. In February 1965 one hundred of students from medical universities of Alma-Ata, Karaganda, and Semepalatinsk were transferred to Tselinagrad on the 2nd year of studies. Lectures started at the departments of Histology, Normal Physiology, Philosophy, Microbiology, and Biochemistry. In 1965 the departments of Human Pathology, Pharmacology, Physiopathology, Propaedeutics of internal diseases, General surgery, and Operative surgery for the third course students were created. In 1969 all the necessary departments were formed. In 1973, for the first time, an interdepartmental scientific research laboratory was established. By the year 1974 (10 years after the establishment) 15 doctoral and 72 candidate theses were defended by the academic staff, there were already 226 lecturers working at 39 departments, including 4 Doctors and 86 Candidates of Medical Sciences; and the number of students reached 2400 people. The building of two nine-storied halls of residence was launched. In 1979 the faculty of Paediatrics was opened. In 1989 the faculty of average medical workers training was opened. By that time there were 2759 students studying at 34 departments. Among 250 lecturers 19 were Doctors and 131 Candidates of Medical Sciences. In the year 1990 on the basis of the inter-departmental laboratory the central scientific research laboratory was created. The eight-storied university corps was built and put into operation. In the 1989/90 academic year Kazakh department was opened. The Dissertation Board on the defence of Candidate’s theses in the “Physiopathology” course is functioning successfully from the year 1992. In 1997 the Institute was reorganised into an Academy. During this period 3 Dissertation Boards were opened. On the basis of the academy 10 branches of scientific centres and scientific research institutes were opened. The faculty of “Medical Biological Business” located in the Stepnogorsk town was affiliated to the academy. For the first time the academy started to issue scientific practical journals of republican significance “Medical Journal Astana” and “Valueology” quarterly. In 1999 based on the Provision № 1469 of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan of 28th September 1999 an internship for medical and paediatric faculty graduates was organised. For the faculty of Stomatology an internship was organised in 2007. In 2001 the faculty of advanced training courses of doctors was opened. In 2002 faculties of “Pharmacy”, “Stomatology”, “Oriental Medicine” were opened. The Dissertation Boards on the defence of Doctoral theses in “Surgery”, “Traumatology”, “ENT-diseases”; on the defence of Candidates theses in “Microbiology”, “Forensic Medicine” were opened. The new faculty of “Medical Prophylactic Business” was launched in 2003. In 2004 there were 56 Doctors and more than 150 Candidates of Science working at the university. At the academy the Educational-Methodological Association (EMA) of medical universities of Kazakhstan was created. The department for the development of state language was opened. The scientific practical journal of republican significance
“Otorhinolaryngology” started to be issued quarterly. The school of young teacher was opened. In this school all teachers with a working record of less than 5 years are undergoing primary training. In 2006 the Kazakh State Medical Academy received the International Prize the Badge of Honour “The leader of National Economy 2006” in the frameworks of the International Summit in Moscow. In 2007 the faculties of “General Medicine”, “Nursing”, and “Public Health” were opened. By the Resolution №451 of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan of 13 May 2008 the RSE “Kazakh State Medicine Academy” MH RK was reorganised into the JSC “Kazakh Medical Academy” with 100 per cent state participation in the share capital. From the 6th January 2009 the JSC “Kazakh Medical Academy” was transformed into the JSC “Astana Medical University” and entered into the structure of the JSC “National Medical Holding”. The clinical bases of the university are located in the major national and republican centres and scientific-research institutes, as well as in the subsidiary organisations of the National Medical Holding. At present, there are 2 Dissertational Boards, 8 specialised scientific seminars functioning at the university, and 3 scientific medical journals are being published. Nowadays, Astana Medical University is having 60 departments that compose 4 main faculties and is offering ten degree choices. Overall, there are 5 university buildings, 2 halls of residences, a student cafe, as well as buffets inside the university buildings. The Astana Medical University has successfully passed certification and scientific accreditation in 2009.